FACT: Human trafficking is the third largest criminal industry in the world (UN GIFT, 2008)
FACT: 1.8 million children are exploited in the global commercial sex trade though this figure is thought to be much higher due to the underground dealings of the traffickers (UN GIFT, 2008).
FACT: Women and girls account for about 80% of the detected victims. Child trafficking accounts for about 15-20% of the victims. Child trafficking has been detected in all regions of the world, and in some countries is the major form of trafficking detected. (UNODC, 2009)
Fact is, I can reel off a dozen more facts about child sex trafficking, but, I wonder how many of you are truly listening. So all I’ll say is this. Imagine if it was your younger brother or sister. Or your niece or nephew. Imagine if it was your grandchild, your daughter or son. Imagine if the child that we were talking about was not some anonymous face, but one that you love. What would you do? Anything and everything, right?
Truth is, it could have been your child, your sister, your brother, your niece, your nephew. Or, it could have been you. You could have been born to a family living in abject poverty. You could have been kidnapped and sold into the sex industry. You could be the one who is forced to have sex and perform degrading acts for the pleasure of others. It could have been you, and it could have been me.
So what can you do about it? Sign the petition.
It only takes 2 minutes – click on the banner below, find your country, read the blurb, enter your name and press sign. That’s it.
- Why Is Thailand a Hub for Child Sex Tourism? (humantrafficking.change.org)
- Tell Hilton Hotels to Prevent Child Prostitution in Their Hotels (humantrafficking.change.org)
- The Sex Tourist Next Door (humantrafficking.change.org)
- Brazil’s Child Sex Tourism Industry Is on the Rise (humantrafficking.change.org)
- Is ASEAN Failing to Protect Asian Children? (humantrafficking.change.org)
- Sex Tourism: When Children are Exploited by Visiting Perverts (socyberty.com)
- B.C. man gets 11 years for child sex tourism (cbc.ca)
- Susan Sarandon and The Body Shop Want to End Child Sex Trafficking (blisstree.com)
- Susan Sarandon Campaigns Against Prosecution Of Child Sex Slaves (huffingtonpost.com)
- Susan Sarandon Standing Up For The Rights Of Child Victims (ecorazzi.com)